Alternative Livelihood for Fishers in and around Loktak and Other Wetlands
2. Name of the Scheme: Alternative Livelihood for Fishers in and around Loktak and Other Wetlands
3. Aim & Objective:
The scheme envisages to provide alternative livelihood to fishers who are mostly engaged in fishing from “Athaphums” (floating matted vegetations) in the Loktak and other wetlands as the same have been removed from Loktak lake under STAP for Conservation and Management of the Loktak and Associated Wetlands.
4. Location of the scheme: The scheme will be located in and around the Loktak lake and other wetlands in Manipur.
5. Justification for continuance of the Scheme:
Proliferation of “Phooms” has been enhanced to a great extent by catching fish using “Athaphooms”. In order to check futher proliferation of Phooms, the Loktak Development Authority has started removal of Athaphooms from the Loktak. As result, 4225 fishers have been thrown out of their fishing profession affecting their livelihood. Further, there are other Athaphooms fishers in the Pumlen lake and other wetlands in the state which altogether to around 6,000 nos. As such, it is felt very much necessary to provide them an alternative livelihood to the fishers in and around the Loktak and other wetlands in the fisheries sector by giving them one of the fishery schemes such as Paddy –cum- pisciculture, Reclamation/ Renovation of existing ponds, Development of water logged areas, Pen culture, Boat and Nets etc. as full subsidy @ Rs. 40,000/- for each scheme in phase manner so as to enable them to earn their living. Hence the scheme.
6. Staff component: The scheme will be implemented by the Fishermen of Loktak and other wetlands.
7. Generation of employment: The scheme will give employment to 250 fishers during 2016-17.